Friday, July 2, 2010

July 2nd: NHL FA Hangover Day

Oh what have I done?

Well, Tambellini is stuck saying that this morning. He made a solid move to build his blueline and some size on the blueline. This is a huge move.

How would you like to be Darryl Sutter this morning? The fans in C-town had to have rioted in the streets after inking Olli Jokinen again. Can you believe that one?

Today is the day we can start capitalizing on Sheldon Souray. Teams like San Jose and Los Angeles totally missed on every free agent defenseman out there. Here's where we can come in. The Kings could be suitors, although they have some quality young defenseman who will be due for contracts soon. It's a difficult trade. San Jose has some limited cap space but the need for a blue liner to replace Blake.

Day Two targets

If I'm Tambellini I know I need to make some deals this offseason, I don't want to add a player via free agency and duplicate a type of player in return of a trade. My moves would be directed.

Target #1 C - Zenon Konopka. He's a fighter and polices the ice very well. He can win face-offs. He fills the 4th line center role or on the wing.

Target #2 C - Adam Mair. A big hitter. A physical presence. He'll give you some offense. I like him on the 4th line as center.

Here's a treat.  Konopka v. Mair.

Target #3 LW - Kirk Maltby. He's also a big hitter. He's a disturber. His best days are long behind him but his experience and leadership would be welcomed and he could help mould our bottom 6 forwards.

Maltby likes to mix it up.

I would stop there until I get my trades dealt with. You don't know what you will get back for Souray; he could bring back a defenseman and another role player. I assume Cogliano is on the block, because he was apparently at the draft. A better question, is Hemsky on the block? If so what does he get for you? You need to know these things going forward, until then fix the bottom half of the roster.

UPDATE:

Oilers resign Jason Strudwick and sign Richard Petiot.  Both are defensemen and both have one year deals.

The Oilers missed on John Scott who signed with Chicago.

No comments: